“This is a cover-up by the Chinese Communist Party, which has now led to one of the worst pandemics we’ve ever seen. The World Health Organization did not protect the world from this pandemic, and I consider them to be co-conspirators with the Chinese Communist Party.” – Lead Republican McCaul
It is clear that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is not a trustworthy partner in the fight against COVID-19 and will go to great lengths to protect their deceptive behavior. For months, the CCP has stifled vital lifesaving information, silenced doctors and expelled journalists attempting to report the truth, and allowed high ranking diplomats to spread false conspiracies about the origin of the virus. Recently, the CCP has kicked its propaganda machine into full gear in a desperate attempt to hide its culpability in the spread of COVID-19. Even more troubling is the CCP’s latest attempt to weaponize the supply chain for critical equipment.
The blame for this crisis falls squarely on the dangerous behavior of the Chinese Communist Party and its leaders, NOT the Chinese people. This virus originated in China, but it has no ethnic or cultural connection to the Chinese people or the millions of Asian-Americans who contribute to our great nation. Innocent people in Wuhan and across China were the first victims of their Communist government’s cover-up.
The message is clear: It is the CCP that must answer for its role in the cover-up and spread of the coronavirus, not only within China and among its own people, but throughout the entire world. It’s time for the CCP to stop their malign actions and work with the global community to quickly bring an end to this.
Report details how the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) cover-up combined with the World Health Organization’s refusal to heed warnings led to the virus becoming a pandemic
Read the report, here.
April 24th, 2020Click to Watch
McCaul Releases Report Cards Assessing Social Media Platforms’ Willingness to Address CCP Disinformation and Propaganda
June 18th, 2020
Action by the Committee and Lead Republican:
- McCaul Applauds Trump Executive Order to Strengthen Supply Chains Amid Coronavirus (5/14/20)
- McCaul to Lead New China Task Force as Chairman (5/7/20)
- McCaul Participates in Virtual Special Order on U.S. Global Leadership During the COVID-19 Pandemic (5/1/20)
- McCaul Urges State Dept to Protect Americans from International Scams Amid Coronavirus (4/29/20)
- McCaul Calls for Bipartisan Investigation into CCP, WHO Upon Congress’ Return (4/28/20)
- McCaul Applauds New Export Control Rules to Counter CCP Military-Civil Fusion (4/28/20)
- McCaul: We Can’t Let the CCP Exploit a Crisis It Enabled the Spread Of (4/22/20)
- McCaul: “Pleased” WHO Calls for Wildlife Markets to Close, “Still Concerned by Poor Leadership Director General Tedros Showed During the Outbreak” (4/13/20)
- McCaul Statement on Intel Report Showing CCP Hid Critical COVID-19 Data (4/1/20)
- McCaul: CCP is Exacerbating a Health Crisis by Selling Faulty Equipment (3/26/20)
- McCaul Statement on Latest Attack on American Press in China (3/17/20)
- McCaul on Anniversary of Westminster Address: UK and US Must Defend Democracies Against CCP (6/8/20)
- McCaul, Risch, Engel, Menendez Call on World Leader’s to Support Taiwan’s Participation in WHO (5/9/20)
- McCaul Joins Bipartisan, Bicameral Letter to Pompeo on Beijing’s Efforts to Undermine Hong Kong’s Autonomy (4/28/20)
- Foreign Affairs Republicans Urge POTUS to Condition Future WHO Contributions on Tedros Resignation (4/16/20)
- McCaul, Graham, Booker, Quigley Urge International Organizations to Shut Down Live Wildlife Markets, Ban International Wildlife Trade (4/9/20)
- McCaul Urges State Dept to Pursue Multilateral Investigation into CCP’s Coronavirus Coverup & Disinformation Campaign (3/27/20)
- McCaul Calls on Major Tech Companies to Deplatform CCP (3/24/20)
- McCaul Calls on WHO to State Health Risks of Wildlife Markets (3/23/20)
- McCaul to Chinese Ambassador: Expelling US Journalists Shows Regime’s Insecurity (3/19/20)
- McCaul Op-Ed in The Diplomat: It’s Time to Stop the Chinese Communist Party’s Shadow Campaign for Power at the United Nations (6/11/20)
- Rep. McCaul and Sara Amundson: It’s Time to Shut Down Wildlife Markets and Ban International Wildlife Trade to Prevent Future Pandemics (4/27/20)
- McCaul Op-Ed in Fox News: Coronavirus Pandemic Resulted From Failure of CCP Leaders to Act Quickly (3/30/20)
- ICYMI: Rep. McCaul in The Hill: The US Must Meaningfully Confront Chinese Communist Party Propaganda (6/19/20)
- McCaul Talks Coronavirus Legislation, CCP Coverup on Fox News (5/4/20)
- McCaul Talks CCP’s “Worst Coverup in Human History,” Disinformation Campaign on Fox (4/23/20)
- McCaul Details CCP Coronavirus Coverup, WHO Culpability on Fox News (4/16/20)
- Fox News: McCaul Calls China, WHO ‘Co-Conspirators’ in Coronavirus ‘Cover-Up’ (4/10/20)
- McCaul Talks CCP Culpability in Spread of Coronavirus on Fox Business (3/26/20)
- McCaul Gives Coronavirus Legislation Update on Fox News (3/26/20)
- McCaul Talks Coronavirus Legislation, CCP Coverup on Fox News (3/25/20)
- McCaul Talks CCP Role in Coronavirus Spread on Fox News (3/25/20)
- McCaul Talks Stimulus, China’s Role in Coronavirus Spread on Fox Business (3/18/20)
5 Ways the CCP Allowed COVID-19 to Evolve into a Global Pandemic
- CCP leaders knew about coronavirus in early December but took aggressive steps to hide it from the public, detaining doctors who warned about the virus and destroying testing samples.
- In early January, CCP health authorities issue a gag order on any public information about coronavirus and shut down the lab trying to share information about the virus.
- Despite knowing about the virus, CCP authorities allowed massive public gatherings and widescale domestic and international travel. Before Wuhan quarantined, authorities let 5 million people leave the city.
- Meanwhile, the CCP forced “news” outlets to write positive stories about their response and censored social media, impeding accurate information on coronavirus.
- Rather than contributing to the global solution, the CCP is attempting to rewrite history and peddling propaganda that the United States is in some way responsible for the origin of coronavirus.
CCP Spin Zone: Lies in their Own Words
- CCP attempts to blame the United States Army: A CCP Foreign Ministry Official claimed the United States Army brought the coronavirus to Wuhan, tweeting: “It might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan. Be transparent! Make public your data! US owe us an explanation!”
- This virus originated in Wuhan. Period.
- CCP tries to shift blame to the United States: A CCP media outlet reported that because U.S. scientists were able to quickly develop a test vaccine that is now in trial on humans is proof that “the US had this virus in their possession long ago.”
- Even without China providing timely data and samples of the disease, U.S. scientists and others around the world still managed to quickly start trials of various potential vaccines.
- CCP official claims China bought the world time: A CCP official tweeted: “China has been updating the WHO & other countries including the US on #COVID19 in an open, transparent & timely manner. China’s endeavor to combating the epidemic has bought time for int’l preparedness. Our contribution is there for all to see.” (Link)
- By covering up the virus for months, the CCP alone created the coronavirus pandemic impacting hundreds of millions around the world. Instead of spreading lies, they should have alerted the international community on day one.
How Coronavirus Became a Pandemic: A Timeline
The Chinese Communist Party Hid Vital Information from the World and the World Health Organization Chose to Placate Rather Than Act, Allowing the Virus to Spread Globally
December 2019 – January 2020: CCP leaders know about coronavirus, but take aggressive steps to hide it from the public, including detaining doctors who warned about the virus and censoring media on the virus.
Dec. 30, 2019: Doctors in Wuhan report positive tests for “SARS Coronavirus” to Wuhan health officials. Under WHO regulations, China is required to report these results within 24 hours. China fails to inform the WHO about the outbreak.
Dec 31, 2019: WHO officials in Geneva become aware of media reports regarding an outbreak in Wuhan and directs the WHO China Country Office to investigate. Taiwan informs WHO about human-to-human transmission, but data is not published on WHO’s data exchange platform.
Jan 1, 2020: Hubei Provincial Health Commission official orders gene sequencing companies and labs who had already determined the novel virus was similar to SARS to stop testing and to destroy existing samples.
Jan 2, 2020: The Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) completes gene sequencing of the virus, but the CCP does not share the sequence or inform the WHO.
Jan 3, 2020: China’s National Health Commission ordered institutions not to publish any information related to the “unknown disease” and ordered labs to transfer samples to CCP controlled national institutions or destroy them.
Mid-Late January: Despite knowing about the virus, CCP allowed massive travel within China and abroad during the Spring Festival (3 billion estimated trips over 40 days), and Wuhan held a celebratory potluck with more than 40,000 families eating from 14,000 dishes
Jan 11-12, 2020: After a researcher in Shanghai leaks the gene sequence online, the CCP transmits the WIV’s gene sequencing information to the WHO that was completed 10 days earlier. The Shanghai lab where the researcher works is ordered to close.
Jan 14, 2020: Wuhan health authorities claim no human to human transmission from coronavirus. This assessment was tweeted by WHO the same day. According to classified documents obtained by the Associated Press, Xi Jinping is warned by top Chinese health official that a pandemic is occurring.
Jan 22, 2020: WHO mission to China admits some evidence of human-to-human transmission.
Jan 23, 2020: After the Emergency Committee is divided on whether to declare a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), Director-General Tedros decides not to. This delay contributed to a regional epidemic turning into a pandemic
Jan 23, 2020: The CCP institutes a city-wide lockdown of Wuhan. However, before the lockdown goes into effect, an estimated 5 million people leave the city.
Jan 29, 2020: Tedros praises the CCP’s response to the virus, saying their transparency was “very impressive, and beyond words” and that the CCP was “actually setting a new standard for outbreak response.”
Jan 30, 2020: One week after declining to do so, Tedros declares a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.
Feb 16, 2020: WHO and PRC officials begin a nine-day “WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019” and travel to China to examine the outbreak and origin of COVID-19. Many team members, including at least one American, were not allowed to visit Wuhan on the trip.
March 11, 2020: The WHO officially declares the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic after 114 countries had already reported 118,000 cases including more than 1,000 in the United States.